Close Menu
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Tirana Mirror
    Subscribe
    • Business & Economy
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Health
    • Media
    • News
    • Opinion
    • Sports
    • Real Estate
    • More
      • Culture & Society
      • Travel & Tourism
      • Politics & Government
      • Environment & Sustainability
      • Technology & Innovation
    Tirana Mirror
    Home»Opinion»Trump faces strong opposition over plan to send troops to Chicago
    Opinion

    Trump faces strong opposition over plan to send troops to Chicago

    Grace JohnsonBy Grace JohnsonAugust 24, 2025No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Follow Us
    Google News Flipboard Threads
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Illinois Governor JB Pritzker condemned President Donald Trump’s plan to deploy troops to Chicago. He called the move an abuse of power.

    Pritzker argued there is no emergency that warrants the National Guard in Illinois. He accused Trump of fabricating a crisis to justify action.

    Trump has already stationed about 2,000 troops in Washington DC. The capital’s Democratic leaders oppose the deployment. Trump presents the move as part of a broad crackdown on crime in US cities.

    On Friday, he announced Chicago and New York could be next.

    Chicago mayor warns of worsening tensions

    Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson said he had not been informed about National Guard deployment. He expressed serious concern about the plan. He described it as uncoordinated, uncalled for, and unsound.

    Johnson warned that unlawful deployment could inflame tensions between residents and police. He said it could also undermine the city’s progress in reducing crime.

    Pentagon arms Guard troops in Washington

    US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth ordered National Guard members in Washington DC to carry weapons. The order reversed the Pentagon’s earlier position. Just last week, officials said the Guard would remain unarmed.

    So far, Guard members have not been involved in police operations. Local officers and federal agents continue those duties. Troops remain stationed at landmarks including the National Mall and Union Station.

    The Pentagon said troops will carry weapons in line with training and mission. It remains unclear if their role in the city will change.

    Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser has not commented publicly.

    Trump praises deployment and hints at national emergency

    Trump said the mission brought safety back to Washington. He described the city as unsafe before deployment but claimed it is now secure. He praised the troops and suggested expanding the strategy to Chicago.

    He announced that 1,700 Guardsmen will deploy across 19 states in the coming weeks. Texas will receive the largest share. The Guard will support immigration enforcement and serve as a deterrent.

    Trump also said he may declare a national emergency once the 30-day mission ends. That would allow him to keep troops indefinitely. He insisted he would act if conditions required it.

    Growing backlash among local leaders

    Republican-led states, including South Carolina and West Virginia, already sent troops to assist. Trump also pledged to seek $2 billion from Congress to beautify Washington. Earlier this year, lawmakers cut the city’s budget by $1.1 billion.

    Attorney General Pam Bondi reported more than 700 arrests since the mission began. She said 91 illegal firearms had been seized, including 40 arrests on Thursday.

    Local leaders questioned the need for federal intervention. Mayor Bowser pointed to a sharp fall in crime, calling it the lowest in 30 years.

    A Washington Post and Schar School poll revealed strong opposition. Nearly 80 percent of residents rejected the Guard deployment and federal takeover of the Metropolitan Police Department.

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Grace Johnson
    • Website
    • Facebook

    Grace Johnson is a freelance journalist from the USA with over 15 years of experience reporting on Politics, World Affairs, Business, Health, Technology, Finance, Lifestyle, and Culture. She earned her degree in Communication and Journalism from the University of Miami. Throughout her career, she has contributed to major outlets including The Miami Herald, CNN, and USA Today. Known for her clear and engaging reporting, Grace delivers accurate and timely news that keeps readers informed on both national and global developments.

    Related Posts

    High costs expose deep flaws in UK nuclear strategy

    November 24, 2025

    Trump pushes for full public access to Epstein records

    November 20, 2025

    Government Restart Gives Workers Relief

    November 19, 2025
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Latest Posts

    Venezuela Rejects Trump’s Move to Block Its Airspace

    Grace JohnsonNovember 30, 2025

    Caracas Denounces “Illegal Threat” Venezuela condemned Donald Trump after he claimed the country’s airspace should…

    Investors Show Confidence in Real Estate

    Rachel MaddowNovember 30, 2025

    Industry insiders and large investors are showing strong confidence in the U.S. real estate market,…

    Terminal Hit After Tanker Strikes

    Rachel MaddowNovember 29, 2025

    Ukraine attacked two Russian oil tankers hours before drones targeted Novorossiysk terminal.The Caspian Pipeline Consortium…

    Airbus Grounds Jets After Solar Radiation Poses Flight Risk

    Grace JohnsonNovember 29, 2025

    Global Fleets Halted Amid Safety ConcernsAirbus grounds thousands of aircraft after discovering that intense solar…

    Top Trending

    Meta investigated over AI risk to children

    Grace JohnsonAugust 18, 2025

    A US senator has begun an investigation into Meta. A leaked internal document reportedly revealed…

    AI Assistant for Space Health

    Rachel MaddowAugust 18, 2025

    Google and NASA created the “Crew Medical Officer Digital Assistant” to help astronauts and Earth-based…

    Scorching heatwave drives wildfires across Spain and Portugal

    Lester HoltAugust 18, 2025

    Extreme weather intensifies fire danger Southern Europe remains gripped by record heat and destructive fires.…

    Researchers unlock microbial “secret sauce” for fine chocolate

    Andrew RogersAugust 18, 2025

    Chocolate can take on many flavors – from fruity and floral to rich and bitter.…

    Tirana Mirror delivers powerful stories, breaking news, sports, and culture—bringing bold perspectives and timely updates to keep readers informed, inspired, and connected worldwide.

    We’re social. Connect with us:

    Facebook X (Twitter) YouTube
    © 2025 Tirana Mirror. All Rights Reserved.

    CATEGORIES

    • Business & Economy
    • Culture & Society
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Environment & Sustainability
    • Health
    • Media
    • News
    • Opinion
    • Politics & Government
    • Real Estate
    • Sports
    • Technology & Innovation
    • Travel & Tourism
    • Business & Economy
    • Culture & Society
    • Education
    • Entertainment
    • Environment & Sustainability
    • Health
    • Media
    • News
    • Opinion
    • Politics & Government
    • Real Estate
    • Sports
    • Technology & Innovation
    • Travel & Tourism

    IMPORTANT LINKS

    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Imprint
    • Contact Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms and Conditions
    • Disclaimer
    • Imprint

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.